EyeCare Associates recognizes how overwhelming all of the information regarding the current COVID-19 public health emergency can be and we want to continue to be a trusted source of information for you. As a contact lens wearer, we want to keep you informed on the facts related to COVID-19 and contact lens wear. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has made clear:
- Currently, there is no evidence to suggest contact lens wearers are more at risk for acquiring COVID-19 than eyeglass wearers.
Contact lens wearers should continue to practice safe contact lens wear and care hygiene habits to help prevent against transmission of any contact lens-related infections, such as always washing hands with soap and water before handling lenses or touching your eyes.
- Handle your lenses over a surface that has been cleaned and disinfected.
- Always use a contact lens solution to disinfect your contact lenses and case to kill germs that may be present.
- Patients should also ensure they thoroughly dry hands with an unused paper towel before handling lenses.
- People who are healthy can continue to wear and care for their contact lenses as prescribed by their doctor.
The recent information from CDC underscores the standing recommendations from the American Optometric Association on this issue.
Please continue to reach out to our practice for any contact lens-related needs or concerns you may have. We are happy to work with you to ensure you have access to the contact lenses you were prescribed.
Your EyeCare Associates Team